The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company was founded in 1947 by members of our local community. Over the past sixty plus years the area has evolved from very rural to a suburban density. The community now contains several new housing developments, numerous apartments, extended care facilities, mercantile structures, municipal and state services, park facilities, schools, various large & small rock quarries, and a major reservoir that services Baltimore City.
On the night of July 16, 1947, 13 men sat in a small garage in Harrisonville, MD, to discuss the possibility of establishing a volunteer fire company to serve the Harrisonville-Randallstown area of Baltimore County. Among the men was the President of the Woodlawn Volunteer Fire Company, who shared his experience with the men, the problems and hardships of forming a volunteer company. A second meeting was held at the Mt. Paran Lecture Hall in Harrisonville, which was opened to anyone interested in forming a volunteer organization. On this night the company was formed and incorporated under the name of "Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.". It was also decided that beginning the first Wednesday in October 1947, that every Wednesday the membership would sponsor a bingo at the Holy Family Church Hall in an effort to raise money for a building and to purchase equipment. Two very generous men, Gerald Glos and Dick Smith donated property to the fire company on Liberty Road near Deer Park Road. The next task to conquer was to purchase equipment.
In April of 1948, Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company borrowed $3,500 from the Randallstown Bank to purchase a fully equipped 1942 Ford Ward LaFrance Pumper and a 1940 Buick Ambulance from the Arbutus Volunteer Fire Company. The equipment was kept in the John Deere garage of member Wm. J. Hanley, until the building was completed in September 1948. As the company and the community began to grow, and need for ambulance services grew with them, and it was decided to expand to two ambulances, 465 and 466.
As of today the company still has the original 1942 pumper, which is commonly referred to as "the antique". The company held its first carnival on September 17th and 18th in 1948, which raised money to help complete the building. On October 24, 1948 the 20' by 50' building was dedicated and the equipment was officially placed in service. The original alerting system consisted of a siren control button at the Randallstown State Police Barrack. To summon the ambulance during the day, calls were taken by Miss. Mary Blair at the John Deere Garage. Men were typically on duty to respond to calls between 7pm and 11 pm.
Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company responded to their first fire call on January 2, 1949. In the spring of 1950 the members of the Fire Company converted an old fuel truck into a 1000 gallon front mounted pump tank truck and designated the unit as Tanker 462. With the financial support from the community, Liberty Road was able to buy a new fully equipped ambulance in 1950. In this same year Baltimore County installed the first two-way radio and the unit came to be identified as Ambulance 85. In 1951, plans were drawn for a new addition, which would include two engine bays on the first floor and a social hall on the second floor.
The first building addition was completed in 1952. In that same year the company also was connected to the new Baltimore County central alarm dispatch center in Towson. In the mid 1950's each station in Baltimore County was assigned a three digit station number. Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company was now to be known as Station 460, in accordance with the new radio system. From that point forth all the equipment was numbered according to our station number and the type of equipment. Our first Engine, the 1942 Ford Ward LaFrance was designated as Engine 461. In 1954, we added a second engine to our fleet. It was designated as Engine 464. It was a new "B" Model Mack Thermodyne. As times changed and more equipment was needed to be carried on the apparatus it was decided to retire the original engine 461 and purchase a brand new replacement. A 1957 International was purchased as the replacement for the original E461. In 1960, the second new addition was finally dedicated. It included upstairs space for an office and a modern hall kitchen which was fully equipped and downstairs it included a radio/watch room, and a recreation room. With the original building front covered in brick to match the additions, now the building looked like one continuous building even though it was actually three buildings merged into one. The Ladies Auxiliary was established on November 20, 1947 in a Sunday School Room at Wards Chapel Church.
In May 1981 the company voted in its first female member, Rosemary Jordan. In 1997, Robert Kemp, who later progressed to become captain, was the first junior to complete the program sponsored by Baltimore County Public Schools and the Baltimore County Volunteer Fireman's Association. In the program he attained his certifications in Firefighter I, Emergency Medical Technician along with various other rescue courses. In addition, in 1999 Melody Wayne was elected as the first female president of Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company.
As of today the company remains very active in serving the community. We currently have 1 engine in service, Engine 461; Special Unit 468; is currently a 2002 Ford F550 and Utility. Lastly, Medic 465 is a 2015 Ford F450 built by lifeline. This unit serves our community with paid staffing from 0700 hours to 2300 hours.
On the night of July 16, 1947, 13 enthusiastic men sat intently listening to the hardships of forming a volunteer fire company, and whoever would have imagined that their dreams would turn into something as wonderful as this.